Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bread

We go through a lot of bread. If I make sandwiches for lunch that is basically an entire loaf of bread. I am disgusted at how much bread costs these days. It seems that with the rise in cost the quality has gone down. I used to buy Grandma Sycamore Bread, but if it isn't on sale - it is like $3 or $4 a loaf. Of course I could buy it at Costco for cheaper, but it is so far away that it isn't practical. (Maybe if they actually started the one that they put a sign up for like 2 years ago, this wouldn't be a problem.) I have tried just about every brand and am yet to find a good one for a good price. I have decided that I have become a bit of a bread snob. I can't stand the cheap "sandwich bread." I don't know if there is really any nutritional value in it. My kids won't eat it either. It seems to dry out after a day. I have decided that I won't buy white bread anymore. Trying to be a little healthier. This just adds to the frustration to find a decent 100% Whole Wheat bread.


I tried to make my own bread. This lasted about a week. While it tastes good and is cheaper, it isn't exactly practical. Maybe when my kids are all off to school and it is just me at home with nothing to do - then I will start making my own bread. In the meantime, I have found a new solution. Rhodes Frozen Bread dough. When I was growing up my mom would get this occasionally for a meal, but never as our main source of bread. I had never really considered this before, but as I was at Wal-mart last week frustrated by my choices in bread I saw this in the freezer and thought - why not. Here is the beauty of it. 1. It is about $3.50 for a 3 pack of dough. That is only $1.20ish a loaf. 2. You get the smell of fresh baked bread in your house - I love that! 3. You can buy a lot at a time and just keep it in your freezer until your ready to use it. 4. You always have fresh bread.
The down side of it is that we love it so much that we are gobbling it up. (Especially with the Apricot Jam that someone from Aaron's work gave us for Christmas. I think we are going to have to plant an apricot tree because we love it so much. ) The loaf isn't quite as big as say the Grandma Sycamore's, but hey, I'm getting 3 loafs for the price of their one loaf.

Well, I think that is enough babbling about bread for one night. I'm going to go have myself a nice slice of my freshly baked bread. :)

6 comments:

Perschon Family said...

That is so funny that you've had such dilema over bread! I've actually felt the same way lately! I grew up with homemade bread...it was acutally my job each week to make it. I ground the fresh wheat flour and made a batch of 6 loaves for the week. I miss it!!! But my Mom had a Bosch mixer and a really nice wheat grinder so that helped with the process...I looked at buying myself those items so I could start making bread for my own family and for the mixer and grinder it would be like $650-$700. I figure I can buy a lot of bread for that price!

Now I've gone on an on about bread...basically I'm glad you passed on that info about the Rhodes bread! I'll have to give it a try!!!It's gotta be better than the white bread I've been buying!

Tamsen said...

Thanks for the tip...I will have to try!

Angie said...

We have had the same dilemma about bread. My kids have gotten to the point that they'll only eat the Grandma Sycamore's bread. But I discovered that if you go to a Sara Lee bread store (there's one close to where my mom lives) they have the Grandma Sycamore's bread 8 for $10. I buy a bunch at a time and freeze them.

Sara and Company said...

Love, Love, LOVE Grandma Sycamores....only white bread we'll eat (and my demise for eating more whole wheat) and I love that it freezes so well unlike any other bread I've tried. However, I finally got myself a new breadmaker for Christmas with some editing money I got and I totally love it! Yeah, the bread is a little tall, but I can seriously make bread in 5 minutes and the machine does the rest! Yay! And I can use my wheat and my family will actually eat home made wheat bread. But never thought about buying Rhodes which I love LOVE as well....and what a great price. Yum! Thanks!

Laura said...

I have been trying different bread recipes and making my own. But it is so messy, even with the bread maker. I am actually going to the store now and I am going to buy some rhodes dough. I am very excited.

Perschon Family said...

ok--so i just ate a piece of warm rhodes bread as per your suggestion and YUM!!! It is perfect...none of the hard work but the great smell like you mentioned and the yummy benefit of being right out of the oven! thanks so much for the tip! this will be our new bread for sure! i'm off to have another piece!