Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brown Thumb

We are nearing the end of August. It is harvest season. My garden has done horrible this year. I planted 7 tomato plants, one zucchini, carrots, 2 bell peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, lettuce, peas, radishes. I also have raspberries, strawberries, apple tree, peach tree, pear tree.

Here is what we have harvested:
  • About a dozen less than one inch tomatoes. Most of them are small marble sized. (The label said 2" tomatoes - wrong! more like 2 millimeters) My plants are huge, I keep cutting back the greens because they are overtaking our garden but no fruit.
  • Lettuce, Radishes and peas did really well in the spring.
  • Raspberries had a good crop early on, but nothing now.
  • Strawberries, pathetic
  • Peach - we'll probably get two dozen peaches, he is still young.
  • Apple tree - not a single apple. He is excused though because we moved him and peach this year.
  • Zucchini - plant is growing, but no fruit
  • Peppers - plant is growing, but no fruit
  • Pear - died
  • Watermelon - died
  • Cantaloupe - died, but suddenly there is new growth - strange. I don't think there is time to get any fruit out of it.
    I am trying to figure out what went wrong this year. Our garden has done really well in the past. Is it over watering? Is it under watering? There is some over spray from the lawn in a few places, but not everywhere. Is it a lack of bees? I hear that is an issue these days. Is it the heat? Am I just not good at gardening? I'm very disappointed. Nothing beats fresh produce from the garden.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Yeah I would like to know what is going on too.

Sara and Company said...

Green, brown, or even red thumbed, you sure win the award for the absolute cutest garden! I absolutely love it! I'm gradually convincing my husband to let me increase my garden...but that doesn't stop me from filling it up. I just can't walk through the rows is all. I did lose some things due to the couple of times we had a late freeze. Fun times!

Perschon Family said...

How frustrating! Hats off to you for planting one though. From the pictures it looks really good! Thats too bad it didn't produce like it did before! I attempted a little garden and our soil is SO rocky that my zucchini didn't even produce! How pathetic huh! All my tomatoes have worms get them before they are ready. My parents have always had an amazing garden so I feel like somewhat of a failure if I can't even do zucchini and tomatoes! Oh well, it is nice to see green out there! Hopefully you'll get a few more things out of your harvest before the season is over!

Laura said...

After all that hard work that is frustrating. But I agree with the comment above that you do have the cutest garden for what that is worth.

The Grant Family said...

So sad! Your poor little garden. Maybe next year.

Heidi Vawdrey has a ton of peaches and doesn't feel like canning this year. I could probably get you some if you'd like. They're ripening a little to fast for her to keep up.

The Grant Family said...

PS Even if there isn't much produce, you still have the cutest little garden set up I've ever seen! Maybe this year it was just decorative.