I am on the verge of tears tonight because of this book. It is seriously an answer to my prayers. I have been looking for a way to deal with Whitney's anxiety. To better understand her and what she is experiencing. Almost every day she has a headache or a stomach ache. She has panic attacks anytime anything new or a change happens. I have been praying to know how to help her.I was looking for a book for Whitney for Christmas and came across this one. I decided to just check it out of the library instead. It finally came today and I read it with her. While I am reading this book it was like it was describing everything about Whitney. She kept saying, "It's like it knows that you are reading me this book." It even gave an example that said - "Pretend you are afraid of dogs and that you are going to go over to your friends house to play but you don't know if they have a dog." HELLO - we go through this exact scenario that it described every time we go to a friends house. It was incredible. There was nothing in there that she couldn't relate to. It gave her steps and ideas of what to do to deal with her "Worry Bullies." We are going to have "Worry Time" each day for 15 minutes. This is the only time that she can worry about things. One of us will set down with her uninterrupted and talk about what ever is worrying her. At first there will be a lot of things, but eventually the theory is that it will evolve into "Talk Time" because she doesn't have as many worries anymore.
The most exciting thing to me was her reaction to the book. You could see a sense of relief that this happens to other people and that there was a way to deal with it. To understand that her physical pains were being caused by worrying. (Even though I had told her that, it is easier to believe a book.) She is excited to try all of the things that it suggested. Time will tell how it works, but I have a really good feeling about it.
If you or your child is a worrier - please read this book. There are so many good suggestions that would work for adults as well as kids.
8 comments:
Horray! You'll have to keep us posted and see how it works in the weeks to come. I think it totally helps feeling like someone understands you. In CA I went to a play group that met three times a week. It was so nice to swap stories about birth, babies, toddlers, etc. I think it was so well attended because we were therapy for each other for about 6 hours a week....it was nice to have some company too.
That sounds like an AMAZING book. I love authors who write about meaningful things that aren't widely known. I had HORRIBLE anxiety as a child and the things you've described about her anxiety are exactly what my twin sister and I went through. And the thing that helped us the most was talking about it. I hope this book helps and that she can have a worry free life!
I am so sorry little Whitters has to deal with this awful anxiety gene we all have. You will be doing her a world of good to help her recognize and deal with it at such a young age. I am so glad you found this book. I hope it helps.
YEAH!!! I should've read that book as a little girl! I was a total worrier (and still am...just not as bad)! I would set a change of clothes by my door incase there was a fire and I'd have to think of an "exit" plan incase the "inevitable" fire was by my bedroom door so I couldn't get out that way. If my Dad wasn't home when it was time for me to go to bed I would cry and worry that he was going to get in a wreck! If we were on a trip I would always ask my Dad if we had enough gas, I couln't go down in the basement if the lights weren't on, I had to make sure all the doors were lock MYSELF before I could go to bed etc. etc. etc. seriously! Now That I think back about it I spent a lot of time as a kid WORRIED!
I think this book sounds great! I should probably read it myself! I hope that it does help and I'm so glad that she feels excited about it too! Isn't it amazing when you find answers like that! I love how the Lord answers prayers...it can be as simple as leading you to a great book! YEAH!!!! I'm excited for the update!
You are such a wonderful mom.
Sorry Ryan Andrus was logged into my computer and I just realized I commented as him above. It is just me, Laura.
That is so fantastic! It is so hard to see our kids go through challenges and so what a blessing this is. And it truly is amazing how it makes such a difference when it comes from "someone else." Best wishes!
How fun to get your Christmas card and to see your fun blog - your family has changed so much since we saw you last. What an adorable family picture. I am excited to be able to keep closer tabs on you guys with blogging. We also have a blog that you can check out.
Tricia
Post a Comment