Friday, February 6, 2009

Construction Time

We decided to finish the rest of our basement. Aaron did all the work on the first half and we just had a bathroom and bedroom left to finish. It took us about a year to finish the part that we did. We decided then that when we finish the rest we will pay someone else to do it. Time is just to valuable these days. We hired our friend Scott to finish the rest for us. After Christmas Aaron and I started talking about if we wanted to get it done. Having a bathroom downstairs was become more and more important for our kids. I got started cleaning out our junk room. Which was packed full of stuff. On New Years Day, Scott came over and took some measurements and got started the next day. Less than one month later it is finished. It is crazy how fast it got done.

It is really hard to take pictures of this area, so I will try to explain a little. There used to be a door in the hallway that we took out and widened the opening. We have a game/vacuum closet at the end of the hall. Aaron has a little tool area that we are going to put shelves and stuff in to keep his tools. It isn't real big, but he doesn't need that large of a space. We have the bathroom for the girls. It is eventually going to have a nice full length mirror in there, but I haven't had time to find what I want yet, so there is a cheap one that we already had hanging there for now. Eventually we will get a little vanity table and stool to put there for the girls to get ready. The tall cabinet has a place for them to put all their stuff when their teenagers. They each have a basket to put their stuff in. Right now it pretty much won't get used, but eventually I think it will become very useful. The girls got to pick out the decor. If it was up to them it would be pink walls, pink toilet, pink bathtub, pink everything. Luckily it is Valentine's and Target had a pink Valentine collection on sale. Otherwise I think it would have been hard to find pink stuff.
Most exciting for me is that I now have a project room. I would call it a craft room, but I don't do a lot of craft projects. I love to make jewelry and I love to sew. I haven't done a real craft project for years. Aaron loves to paint, so this will also be a place that he can set something up and leave it up. I am planning on bringing in the girls little table and chairs so that they can work on something while I am working on stuff. Being able to set up my sewing machine and work on something for a little while and leave without cleaning it up will be so nice. I have been sewing like crazy these past few months. I made BYU PJ pants for my nieces and nephews for Christmas (11 pairs). I sewed 6 school bags for a humanitarian project. I just finished my biggest project - lock down shades for my daughters school. They are designed to be able to pull down when the school goes into lock down so that no one can see inside the class room. We had to make 40 shades. My sewing committee dwindled, so I ended up doing half of them. I am very excited to have a place to put all my stuff. Most of which I don't have time to use, but at least there is a place for it now. This may end up as a bedroom later on if we split up Cass & Linds, but for now it is mine.

The doors are not hung up yet. We just got our carpet installed yesterday and we are going to make them come back and fix a lot of things. Probably the worst install I have ever seen. We went with Home Depot again to match our existing carpet downstairs. Yet again, a horrible experience. If you are getting carpet DO NOT GO TO HOME DEPOT!!!! If you want to relive my previous experience I believe I posted about it last June. I will save my complaints this time, but I would never go there again for carpet.

8 comments:

Laura said...

It looks gorgeous. You are so talented that you really deserve a space for your sewing and jewelry. I love my necklace and earrings. They really help my uniform of white and black shirts.

Jinjer said...

That looks so good, Heather. We are just starting to finish our basement, so we will be sure to remember your tips on the carpet and who NOT to use.

Angela said...

It looks great. Whitney has been very excited to have a bathroom downstairs, she has mentioned it a few times

The Grant Family said...

Awesome!!!! Fun to have it all finished I bet. I had seen the truck by your house and wondered what you guys were up to.

We just had Scott come over and give us an estimate on the unfinished part of our basement. Not as bad as I thought. Hopefully we'll be able to do it in the spring sometime. We'll see. We'd be building a bedroom for Catie and the rest of the are will be open for......well we're still deciding. An area to work out or computer/homework project area? My dad has an office with an L-shape built in desk. It was amazing how much time the family spent there with everyone's laptops hooked up. I'm wondering if something similar might be very useful. Especially as the kids get older and need to do more work on computers/type up papers, etc. Anyway, this is a letter now, and not just a comment. See ya!

Kristin said...

Looks great!! A project room will be so nice. I am hoping for something like that in our next house, whenever that happens.

Sara and Company said...

Gorgeous! Congrats. You already sound like it will be much loved and much appreciated! Love it!

Perschon Family said...

that is so dang fun! i love that you have more finished space...so nice! it looks really good!

Katie said...

The finished project looks so great. I can't believe how fast it all got done. Can't wait to see you all in 2 1/2 weeks and counting!