Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Independence Day, Birthday & More

We started the 4th off at my parents home with a water party. We had slip 'n slides, sprinklers, water balloon, water guns. Followed by a great BBQ lunch. The kids had a blast.

I love this picture of my little guy. Thanks to my sister for taking these, my camera is still getting fixed.




We ended the day at our house with a BBQ with Aaron's family. We had our grocery store variety fireworks display on the street afterwards. Several neighbors brought out their chairs and watched our pathetic display. Then they (and my kids) all moved on down the street to the next display in the street. It is great having such great neighbors that you can all enjoy a holiday together like that.

My birthday was a week ago. Aaron attempted to make me some cinnamon rolls (from a can) for breakfast. I never actually saw them, he says they were not salvageable. So my house smelled like cinnamon rolls when I woke up, only there were no cinnamon rolls. Ironically, my neighbor behind me left me a cinnamon roll and orange juice from Kneaders on my porch for me for my birthday. It was a pleasant surprise as Aaron opened the door to leave for work.

Several of my friends gathered at the Splash Park for lunch. It was crazy crowded there, apparently the day after school gets out is a popular time to go to the Splash Park. Who knew? Thanks to my friends for braving the crowd and sticking around. And hey, we didn't lose anyone. I really am grateful to have so many great friends.

My in-laws came over that night to watch the kids so Aaron and I could go out to dinner. We went to the Olive Garden. I haven't been there for years. We then went shopping. I really wanted a new swimming suit. What I terrible idea to go try on swimming suits on your birthday. Not exactly a great self esteem booster. So, after we decide to go pick up dessert to take home and share with my in-laws. Chocolate always makes me feel better! :) We went to my husbands new favorite store. The new Harmons in Draper. It sounds strange, but this place is incredible. The cheese bar alone could have kept Aaron there all night. We had samples from the homemade gelato ice cream bar. (Yum) They have gourmet dessert area, with chocolates imported from Switzerland (or some country I forget which one.) We ended up with a fudge chocolate cake that was delightful and it was so much cheaper to get the entire cake than to buy dessert at a restaurant. We are a little strange, but it was actually a lot of fun.

Here is my little plug for Harmons. Now I am not a normal shopper at Harmons, I usually only go there if something is on sale. However, I have to give them credit here. They have a found a niche in the crazy competitive grocery store market. If you haven't been there, it is worth the trip.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I am glad you had such a great birthday. I love that picture of Grant, he is so cute.

The Grant Family said...

Where is the new Harmons in Draper?

You may think you guys are strange, but what you did for your birthday night out sounds very much like something we would do! I guess we're all strange then....or if we're all strange does that make us normal. Whatever!

By the way, thanks for helping me find an adorable background for my blog. I'd tried different ones and then noticed the Leelou button on yours and tried it. She has some very cute stuff! I'm in love with mine now.

I have some pictures from the splash park, but I think you and Tamsen didn't want pictures of you guys eating so as a birthday gift, I won't post them ;)

Heather Ashby said...

The new Harmons is just over the freeway (east side) on Bangerter. Thanks for not posting the pictures, I really appreciate it!

Kristin said...

Hope that you had a great Birthday, Heather. It sounds like fun, minus the trying on swimsuits part. Uggh. I actually stopped at that Harmon's when I was in town for my sister's wedding. But I missed some of the cool stuff, just got what I needed. It was a nice store. Your little Grant is a cutie.

Perschon Family said...

Happy Birthday!!! I'm glad it was a good one! I love that you love the new Harmons! Brody and I were amazed by it when we first went there! We went there on my b-day date as well! That is a great picture of your little guy!! What a cutie!