Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Vail

For my birthday this year the one thing that I wanted and needed was a trip with just my husband. The last time we went on a vacation together was about a year after we were married.

We got both set of grandparents lined up to stay with the kids. Our only problem was finding some place to go. After several days of searching and searching on the Internet we settled on Vail, Colorado. (Being in the mountains sounded better than sitting on a beach. Maybe when we lose weight we will do the beach thing.) It is about a 6 1/2 hour drive. We figured if we drove then we could save the money from airfare and rental car and get a nicer hotel. (We will always be cheap, no matter how much money we make!)



The rain got in the way of a lot of our plans, but we had fun anyway. There was a river that ran behind the resort and had a walking trail along side of it. We walked the mile and a half up to the village and wandered around a lot. We stumbled upon an ice skating rink and decided to go ice skating. That pretty much prevented us from walking very well the rest of the trip.

The rain would come out of nowhere. We got trapped on a covered bridge for about 20 minutes while we waited out a sudden down pour and very loud thunder storm.

It was so nice to be able to be spontaneous. We found a movie theater and decided to go watch a movie. I loved being able to talk to Aaron - uninterrupted! When plans changed because of the rain - no one cried. I don't think I heard someone cry for three days straight!
I really missed my kids. They had a great time with their grandparents (thank you again!) It was good for me to miss Grant. He drives me to the point of insanity, so it is good to remember how much I love the little devil. He wouldn't look at me or come to me on Sunday when we got back. It broke my heart. He has never spent much time away from me. He spent the day yesterday pretty much crying the whole time. It is good to be home, even though reality hits you in the face like a tons of bricks the second you walk in the door.

7 comments:

Perschon Family said...

Heather, I'm SO glad you had a great trip...you so deserved it! It looked BEAUTIFUL there. I agree 100% about all of the things you wrote about which you loved while being away from your kids...I felt the same way on my trip with Brody! And like you said, it feels good to actually have had a chance to miss the kids! Too bad about reality hitting the second you get home! Tis life huh?!

Katie said...

I'm so glad you guys got to get away for a few days. It looks beautiful there and you look beautiful (and relaxed!) in all of your pictures.

The Grant Family said...

So glad you got away...sounds like fun!

Sara and Company said...

Yay yay yay for you! So happy you two were able to get out together. You so deserve that. I think I could handle missing my kids.....for about 2 weeks! Hee hee. Although, I don't think Jason could make it more than 2 days. So glad you had fun!

Angela said...

I loved the pictures, it is so beautiful there. I am glad you had a relaxing trip and fun just being together.

Tamsen said...

Hey, I recognize that bridge! I'll have to call you to hear more about your trip. Rob's entire fam is here and it is CRAZY! Miss you and talk to you soon.

Laura said...

I loved our vacation there. Great pictures.