On Sunday night my former roommate Tamsen and her family came to dinner. They moved to Phoenix two years ago. It was so much fun catching up with her. I've missed having her around. After they left we were watching the neighbors across the street light fireworks. One of the aerial fireworks with multiple shots tipped over and started shooting into the crowd across the street. It was very scary. An 11 yr old girl, Kaitlyn, got some pretty bad burns on her fingers that later turned into a staph infection.
On Monday we went to Grandma Roberts' house for a lunch BBQ. The kids played on slip n' slides, sprinklers, but best of all, they had a giant water fight with super soakers. It would have been perfect if the weather were a little warmer. Crazy that on the 4th of July it wasn't that warm outside.
After Grandma's house we went to our neighbor's the Cundiff's house. They hosted a BBQ for several families in the neighborhood. We had a lot of fun until the very end when we were watching fireworks. I have come to refer to it as a terrifyingly miraculous experience. The exact same thing happened this night. The aerial firework tipped, or exploded out the bottom making it tip and started shooting into the crowd. Only this time we were in the middle of the war zone. A few minutes before this happened Cassidy came to me and told me that Whitney had moved to the front. I had been moving her back because I was so scared from the last night. She really wanted to be by her friend. So she slowly kept moving closer. I watched her for a minute and was debating about whether it was worth the fight. I suddenly just had the feeling that I had to move her. I got her attention and I was in the driveway just starting my plea with her to stay back when I saw a firework land on the ground on the other side of the house. I grabbed her and Grant and covered them as things were exploding on the ground around us. Aaron was on the side of the house with Cassidy and Lindsey trying to protect them. There were probably 50 people in the crowd and the only injuries were two girls got minor burns when the firework landed on their blanket. The blanket was destroyed, but saved them from serious burns. Before I moved her, Whitney was lying on her stomach next to where these girls were. It would have been in her face. It was a miracle in so many ways. I am very grateful for Heavenly Father's protection of my family and our friends. I am so glad I listened to the prompting to move Whitney. All of the kids slept in our room that night. We were all shaken by this experience. We will probably never watch fireworks again.
2 comments:
That is a miracle and a great reminder to follow the promptings we get. Very scary!
That is crazy that things got so out of control! I'm glad you were all safe.
Thank you so much for dinner and having us over. I miss you already! Hope that primary is going ok. I'll call you soon. :)
Post a Comment