Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Our unknown hero

I've been putting off writing this for a while now. How do I write about the worst month of my life?
Let's start at the reservoir.
The first week of August we went to Blackridge Reservoir with the Ashby cousins. We were having a great time. The weather wasn't great, but the kids were having fun playing in the sand. I don't remember Lindsey even going into the water. But she was floating in a tube type floaty that has a bottom to it. She was with Whitney (also in a floaty) and Cassidy. The winds picked up and she started to float away. She called out to Whitney to help her. Whitney tried to get to her, but ended up tipping her own floaty over. She thought that she could touch, but she couldn't. Luckily we have really been practicing this summer at our pool and Whitney was able to swim back to the shore. Meanwhile, Cassidy comes running to me to tell me about Lindsey. By this point Lindsey is far away down the beach. She had floated out past the boey and was in deep water. I take off into the water to get to her. It was a stupid move, because you can't move very fast in the water. At this point Lindsey is panicking. She is screaming and desperate to get to the shore. I am yelling to her to stay calm. She somehow had grabbed Whitney's floaty when she tipped, so she had two. Then Lindsey's floaty tipped. She was holding on to the handles of the two floaties and they formed a teepee over her head. I got to the point where I couldn't touch anymore and I didn't know what to do. I can't swim well enough to get out to her. Just then a stranger who had watched everything unfold dove into the water and swam out to Lindsey. She was able to bring her safely to me. I don't know what I would have done without the heroics of this stranger. I know that Heavenly Father was protecting Lindsey that day. He put that woman in that place at that time because he knew I wouldn't be able to help her. I am so grateful for to her. I don't know her name, but she will always be my hero.

Afterwards, the what if and the should have done thoughts we consuming me. I was a mess. My girls were a mess. Aaron was out of town for the week. We had another night where the kids all slept in my room. (Apparently after terrifying events this is what we do. It's been a rough summer!) I knew I needed a blessing because I just couldn't get past it. So many of the priesthood holders that are usually close by were out of town also. My home teacher, Brody (My friend Amy's husband), Laine, Ben... Aaron called JD and had him come over. I feel bad that he had to come so far just to give us a blessing, but so grateful that he did. He gave each one of us such a wonderful blessing. He was so inspired to say just the right things for each person. It is yet again a terrifyingly spiritual experience. I know Heavenly Father had a hand in protecting my family that day.

We all still struggle with this memory. I don't think it is something that will ever go away. Even writing about it a month and a half later, my heart starts racing and I get tears in my eyes. Lindsey still wakes up crying and scared as she relives that day. Cassidy still can't hear the word reservoir without getting upset. I don't think we will be going back there. I know I should get my kids there, but I can't. Maybe next summer I will feel different about it.

1 comment:

Perschon Family said...

THat was a TERRIBLE jam packed time!!! Why does life pack it on like that? I'm so glad you made it through!