Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My baby brother is married.

My brother Jeremy is 3 years younger than I am. My mom started working when he started school, so we would spend a lot of time together when we were off track and during the summers. One of our favorite game to play was boat. We would pretend the couch was the boat and the carpet was the water. (It is so funny to see my kids come up with the same game). There weren't a lot of girls on the street we grew up on, so I would play cops and robbers with Jeremy and all the boys on the street. Our yard was also nicely set up to be the baseball field. There were many evenings spent in our front yard. My dad always made sure that his girls didn't throw like girls. I also remember playing a game when it was starting to get dark outside. It was sort of a hide and seek game, but it had a little chant that had something to do with bears coming out. That is all I remember about it, but I remember playing it a lot.

Jeremy has always been such a great brother, we never really used to fight that much. I have my dad's memory - so maybe we did and I just don't remember it. Maybe that is a good thing, because when I look back at my childhood and memories with Jeremy I can only think of happy times. I remember sitting at numerous little league baseball and Jr. Jazz games. Watching him, and of course all the cute boys around. He returned the favor by having to come to all my choir concerts in Jr. High and High School. I do feel bad for making him always sit in the very back of our 4-runner. I have become so strict about seat belts now that I feel horrible that we let him sit back there. Of course, seat belts weren't stressed like they are now, but still, I am so grateful he was never injured by being back there.

Jeremy never reads my blog, so it is easier to say things, because he will probably never read this. I'm very proud of him. Seeing him in the temple getting married was a great moment. You know that he has made the right choices and done the right things to be at that place at that time. I am so happy that he was able to find someone to share his life with.

I just have to write down the funniest moment at their wedding luncheon. We were going around introducing ourselves. We get to my aunt Karla. I don't know how old she is now, but at least in her 70's. She gets all teary eyed and says "Jeremy, I just want you to know that your grandma and grandpa would be so proud . . . (looks at my dad and says, was he born yet? My dad nods yes) . . . would be so proud of you right now." Maybe you had to be there or know my aunt, but it was all I could do to restrain myself from busting out laughing. She was trying to pretend like she knew my brother, when in fact she didn't even know if he was alive when my grandparents were alive. Aaron agrees with me, it was funny.


Jeremy and Alicia are going to have a great life together. I am very excited to get to know the girl who finally won my brother's heart. I love you Jeremy.

5 comments:

Laura said...

What a great tribute. Your kids are so adorable. All the cousins look like siblings.

Chels said...

Cute pictures! It looks like it was a fun day, and it also looks like your week got better as it went along, so I am glad. Thanks for the comment on my blog, it was a very happy positive thing that I needed to hear today, so thanks!

Katie said...

That story is very funny. Those settings always end up with a few awkward moments. Once again, the kids looked way too cute in their little outfits, I wish I could have seen them in person.

The Grant Family said...

All your wedding attire turned out great!!! Great way to get a nice family picture!

Perschon Family said...

i agree...your family looks really cute!!!! and i also loved the tribute to your little brother! i love that you rocked the couch as a boat! sounds like some good times!