Thursday, November 13, 2008

Amoxicillin

Day 18
As the doctor told me last night that Cassidy had strep, a small part of me wanted to cry, knowing that this was one more infectious disease that will be going through our family. A larger part of me was glad because it also provided some hope. Hope for my poor little girl that has been suffering so much. There is now something I can do to relieve the pain instead of just saying "I know you are sick, but I can't make it go away." When Whitney woke up this morning with no voice and a sore throat - waving her hands around in her own form of sign language that only she can understand. I can have hope that maybe her sickness will be shorter lived because we can treat her sooner. Well, I guess that depends on which one of our infectious diseases she has - croup or strep.
Amoxicillin (Penicillin) is one of the greatest discoveries in modern medicine. To just think of the countless number of people that have died from diseases that we can now simply drive up to a pharmacy and pay $4 to cure. We are so blessed to have something as simple as this, something that we often take for granted.

4 comments:

The Grant Family said...

Horray for medicine! Although I'm so sorry that illness hasn't left your home yet. Soon.

Chels said...

Man, that is the worst. I grew up with 6 kids in my family and someone ALWAYS had strep throat. We would just pass it around and around. I never thought about how my Mom must've felt but I am grateful for Mom's who are so good at taking care of their kids. Good job. I'm sure you comfort them more than you know. I hope everyone gets better soon! And that you get to finally have a full nights sleep!

Katie said...

I didn't know you had croup & strep floating around, I thought it was "just" the flu. I'm so sorry.

I don't mean to laugh when you are so stressed but I have to say I have the funniest image in my mind right now of Whit frantically flailing her arms about realizing she can't speak. I bet that was quite a sight!

Sara and Company said...

Oh blessed day we live today! Sorry your kids keep passing the rounds. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.