
This year we are starting something new. We have been wanting to simplify Christmas for some time now. My friend posted a little while ago about how her friend simplified Christmas. I showed it to Aaron and we were immediately sold. Each child receives 4 gifts on Christmas morning. Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. They still receive a gift from Santa Claus (in our family Santa always brings a game.) We will add that they still receive their PJ's on Christmas Eve.
Tonight Aaron and I went out on a "Heather needs a break" date. We went to Barnes and Noble and began the process of figuring out what we want to get our kids for Christmas. We looked around the kids book section for awhile trying to decide what books would be best for each child. Then we went over to the cafe and had some hot chocolate/scone/cookie and mapped out what we wanted to get for each category. I have to say - so far - I absolutely love this. Each gift is so much more thought out. We can spend more money on each gift as well because we aren't trying to spend on tons of presents. Hopefully this will eliminate a bunch of stuff that my kids never use.
We are going to have the kids do homemade gifts to each other. I am going to check out some kid craft books from the library and let them choose something to make to give to each sibling. Then plan a time when I can help them make them.
We are going to tell our kids about our new tradition after Thanksgiving. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
4 comments:
This is a great idea. I actually came across the same quote last year, but I didn't write it down and somehow forgot the catchy little rhyme and was thinking that it was "something to wear, something to read, something to play with and something to eat." Pretty silly. Yours is better. LOL We want to simplify too and I am so tired of toys that take up space and are never played with at our house too.
I love this idea and have been thinking about it since you told us at lunch. My sister Rebecca read it here and is going to do it. I love that it makes everything more thoughtful and deliberate instead of just stuff. I always learn so much from you!
super idea!! I LOVE IT! I have this thing for clearance shopping and I've been collecting clearance items all year long for Christmas. I just realized that eventhough I got a great deall on all of the stuff that it isn't all needed and I have too much STUFF!!! I think your idea sounds wonderful! I'll be excited to see how things go!
i'm glad you're all feeling better! hopefully you can stay healthy through the holidays!!!
I enjoyed reading your testimony! That was a great quote too and it is so true!!!
Heather- What a great idea. I'm afraid it is too late for us this year, but from here on out.... Isn't it a constant struggle? I need to simplify, focus, relax and enjoy! Especially during the ever important child raising years. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment