Monday, June 23, 2008

Change of Heart

One week down, ten to go. Last week was a really fun week with the kids. I have stuck to my plan so far. Here is one thing I learned. Taking a 13 month old active boy to a movie theatre - not a good idea. Other than that, it was great. I definitely felt a difference in myself. A greater capacity to love my children, if that makes sense. I am striving to more fully enjoy this time in my life. Instead of just going through the motions with kids in tow, I want to laugh and have fun with them. Something that I have been missing so far. I think I have been really selfish in the past, more worried about myself and my feelings than what I am teaching my kids. I can't really explain it, but I feel more happy and more peace. Aaron was gone Sunday afternoon through Friday night. This is the first time that I seemed to be able to handle it without a major meltdown at the end. I know it wouldn't have been accomplished without divine support.

I went to a funeral this weekend for a woman that lived in the neighborhood I grew up in. She was a great friend of our family growing up. One of her daughters was my sisters best friend growing up who later married our cousin. Her funeral was a great place to be to listen to her 8 children express what a great mother she was. To the world, she probably didn't accomplish a lot in life. But to know God's eternal plan, she did it right. She taught her children true principles. She led by example. She truely loved her children, grandchildren and husband. She fulfilled all her callings with all her might, mind and strength. What greater accomplishment is there in life? Being there and knowing her made you want to be a better person.

This weekend was also Stake Conference. What an amazing experience to be taught by two general authorities of the church. To feel of their Spirit and to see the Lord's hand as they called a new Stake President. Aaron and I were able to go to the Saturday session together. What a great opportunity to be among the "Saturday Night Saints" to quote Elder Wood. It is definately the "dessert" of Stake Conference as our former Stake President said. It is the one time that I can actually listen and I seem to get so much more out of it. But I must say that my children did realitively well on Sunday. We had a new master plan. We strived for the nice soft padded chairs of the Relief Society room. They have the TV broadcast from the chapel, just like if you are on the back row of the gym, but we were so much more comfortable and cooler than everyone else. I don't know why more people don't realize the greatness of this, the room still had a few empty rows 30 minutes into it.

5 comments:

Katie said...

What a great attitude. I know I am much happier and more positive when we get out and get a change of scenery, even if it's just a trip to Target. I wish we could join you on some of those fun excursions, you've thought of a lot of activities!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron!

This is Brigitte. Do you remember me? Nu Skin. Anyway, I found your blog from reading some comments she put on Tamsen's blog.

Anyway, your family pic is totally cute. You all look so happy!

~Brigitte Eppley

Laura said...

Sounds like a great week to start out your summer.

If you have activities that work for the girls but may not be so great with Grant. Macy and I would love to have him come and play.

Hopefully, we can all do something soon.

Sara and Company said...

Yay! I am so happy you have a blog and for sure I will be reading it. I so needed your thoughts the last couple of posts and in my complete exhaustion, I am going to be better at "dancing in the rain". Just looking at you and your young children wipes me out and yet what a great mom you are to find out what is most important and make that a priority. You've invigorated me. Thanks! Good luck!

The Grant Family said...

We'll have to try the RS room next time...it was soooo hot in the gym. We spent the last part in the foyer because Sean was holding Ryan as he slept and I was holding Ellie. Nothing like a sleeping child on you to make you really hot.

I'm so sorry we missed the Saturday night session. When we passed you guys as you were driving by I realized I'd forgotten. Sounds like it was good. I'm just kicking myself for missing it!