Sunday, June 29, 2008

Garage Sale

We had a crazy idea to have a garage sale. We did it on the same day as some of our neighbors. We had lots of signs, ads in the classifieds. Not a lot of people came. My girls have been begging to have a lemonaid stand, so we thought this would be a good experience for them. We baked a bunch of cookies and bought some water bottles to sell. I convinced Whitney water would be better because I remembered last year when we did a lemonaid stand they would spill half of it, only pour about 1/4 of a glass for some people, bees were everywhere and we wasted most of it. So this year I simplified and we bought water bottles. Much easier.

Here is a little video clip of them. I thought I was taking pictures but it was on video. My LCD screen on my camera broke and it doesn't have a view finder. It still takes pictures, you just can't see what your taking a picture of. It is a really bummer because we just bought the camera in January.

We had two of our neices on Friday night/Saturday so between the 5 of them they each made about $3. It was a good experience for them because they were each able to pay tithing. We are going to start having chores with the girls and allowances, it is just tricky trying to figure out what things you pay an allowance for and what things are jobs just because you are part of a family. I don't want my kids to expect to be paid to do any work. I think they should realize that as a family you have to do work. On the other hand I want them to be able to earn money so they can learn things like saving, paying tithing, and that stuff costs money. This is all new to us so we are still trying to figure it out.

5 comments:

Perschon Family said...

Heather,
I saw all of your girls walking up to hand in their tithing today. I nudged Brody and said, "Look how cute they are!" I think you have the cutest little family and you are obviously teaching them well! Good job!!!

Kristin said...

Looks like fun. We haven't done allowances yet for those same reasons that you mention but I do want them to learn about money. Let me know how that goes.

We are going to be in UT the end of July, beginning of August. Will you be around? I would love to see you!

The Grant Family said...

I take videos when I think I'm taking pictures all the time and my screen isn't even broken (bummer about that...sorry.) Cute idea with the lemonade/water stand. I've had the same dilemma with how to do chores and allowance, etc. I'm with you...I don't want them to expect pay for helping out the way any family membe should. Hmmmm....

Laura said...

I see the dilemma over the money. Luckily, you can figure this all out and I'll come ask you in a few years.

Sara and Company said...

Water over lemonade! That's perfect!!! You truly have such a darling little family. Your kids are truly just precious! We sure do miss seeing sweet Cassidy all the time. And for sure give us the update as to how you figure out allowance. I have often thought about that same thing.