Sunday, June 15, 2008

Remodeling - the results

Well, I would like to say that everything went smoothly and according to plan for the rest of the week. But it wasn't to be.
Tuesday the counter top people did come, no apologies or anything. Their three hour install took them four hours. They did do a great job and it is what we wanted. It was just painful getting it done.


Wednesday was carpet day. I had things planned out very well. Aaron was working from home. I had made arrangements for the girls and myself to be gone all day so that we didn't have to be here during the mess. They were supposed to come between 9-10 am. At 8:40am we receive a phone call from the installer saying that at 4:30 the day before they received a visit from the Regional Manager of Home Depot and that they had needed some badges in order to install the carpet. They had people working on it and would be back in touch with us, if we wanted to call Home Depot to speed things along, that may help. Well you can imagine Aaron was on the phone with Home Depot pretty quickly. He explained how this was more than just a little inconvenient. We have no furniture in our upstairs, he had taken the day off of work and there is not another day that is going to work to do this. I'm sure he was very nice about it, seems how a couple of the Riverton Home Depot employees brought to our house a steak lunch from Chilies for Aaron. This is a very long story, but to summarize, the installers show up at 3:15pm with two guys and a foreman. The foreman is very apologetic on behalf of Home Depot. He said that they were going to get another crew over here to speed things along and they should be finished up by 8:30pm-9:00pm. Foreman guy leaves and one of the workers leave (around 4:30) to go get the other crew. Leaving one poor guy to work. At 8:00pm the worker guy comes back with two more guys. The one guy left behind had to do most of the work by himself. They finally finished and left our house at 11:00pm. Just so you know, if you ever have to get your children to sleep while there is a lot of banging going on, it is not an easy task. I really feel sorry for the installers because this mess wasn't their fault, and they were left installing carpet until 11:00pm. Here are some positives: 1) They called first thing so at least we knew they were delayed. Unlike Apsen who didn't bother to call. 2) They were very apologetic, bringing Aaron lunch. 3) It is done and they did a good job.


Thursday was couch day. Thankfully it was a nonevent. It was delivered at 10PM, but that was by design. Our friends own the store that we bought it from and they delivered in on their way home from work. I would like to point out that less than 24 hours before this couch was delivered this room was packed with furniture and and random stuff from upstairs and we got it all put away and vacuumed before they arrived.

Thursday was also one of the most painful days I have experienced in a long time. Cassidy's ear hurt. And in case I didn't mention it, Cassidy's ear hurt. She repeated this phrase "My ear hurts" over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Approximately every minute. I had taken her to the doctor on Tuesday (after the counter top people finally finished). She was complaining Monday, you may recall from the previous post, that her ear hurt. The doctor said her ears were clear. The one ear was just a little bit red, but if she hadn't been complaining he wouldn't have looked twice at it. He said she had Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. I think he was mistaken. He offered to give me a prescription just in case she was complaining about the ear still in a few days. I declined. I really try hard not to medicate my children unless absolutely necessary. Back to Thursday, KT was graciously staying with my kids Thursday morning so I could volunteer at Whitney's field day. After a few phone calls from KT saying Cassidy was crying and crying I finally had to leave a little early because Cassidy was doubled over in pain screaming on the couch. (KT I really owe you big time). Her screaming and crying and saying my ear hurt continued for the entire day. She did fall asleep for two hours (they were two very quiet hours). I called back the doctor and got the prescription called in. She was still up at 10:30pm screaming and crying so Aaron and Laine gave her a blessing. She fell right asleep after that and the next morning her ear drum ruptured and she stopped screaming. Still complaining because now their was stuff coming out her ear, but she stopped crying and screaming.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm sorry about Cassidy. But I love your house. It looks awesome! I also love your couch. It is a whole new house.

The Grant Family said...

Wow...looks great...can we come see?